This post may contain affiliate links, full disclosure here.
Since the beginning of time, candles have been people’s and preppers’ favorite accouterment.
We can’t think of a more dependable product that delivers enough light at the most inconvenient times. During the most crucial emergencies, their effective yet straightforward character never fails to brighten up and warm the area.
LED torches and light battery packs are now commonplace. Even so, these energy sources are notoriously unstable and come with no guarantees, but candles, on the other hand, will burn for years even if they are stored in a dusty attic or bag.
The best way to store candles in case of an emergency is to disperse them and keep three to four candles at each location. If you’re preparing for a power outage and need a backup lighting solution, put these candles in every room of the house and keep a few extras in your drawer to feel safe.
Candles with fresh vanilla and cherry scents, as well as artistically formed candles in crazy colors, are all accessible nowadays.
These, on the other hand, will not withstand the test of time, nor will they deliver effective and efficient burning in an emergency. It’s advisable to buy candles that are tough and specifically designed and sculpted for emergency situations.
They last a lot longer than regular candles. As a result, we’ve compiled a list that sheds light on candles designed specifically for emergency situations.
See also: Top 20 Barter Items to Stockpile
Best Emergency Candles For Every Situation
Bolsius Straight Unscented Ivory Candles
Bolsius Straight Unscented Ivory Candles are the clear victor on this list of the best emergency candles. For years, these candles have provided solace and illumination in survival situations.
The extra work they put in to find the best ingredients pays off, as the candle outperforms every other candle in this category. Let’s take a look at some of the disadvantages and benefits to having a better understanding of this product.
- Type: Straight Unscented
- Number of candles: Pack of 50
- Material: Refined Paraffin Wax
- Duration: Approx. 12 hours
- Manufacturer: Bolsius
- Item Weight: 10.28 pounds
- Item Dimension: 17.52 x 12.24 x 9.96 inches
- The business addressed the most problematic aspect of any candle, namely its dripping propensity, by creating a candle that does not drip. Non-dripping saves their clients time and effort in cleaning up the drips and bothersome residue left by the burned-out candle.
- These candles are made to last longer than tapered candles on the market. Their slender, straight body provides the best ability to burn for a long time without making a mess.
- This product has a 12-hour burn time, which saves you time because you won’t have to keep lighting the candles every two hours.
- They come in a 50-pack, so you get a lot of candles for your money. Bulk purchases will allow you to distribute them to multiple locations and emergency bags.
- Their non-smoke composition ensures a smoke-free burn every time, as well as a cleaner surroundings. When you’re locked in a compact space with poor ventilation, such as a tent, a non-smoking candle is essential; the extra smoke burns your eyes and makes the air impure to breathe, but with these candles, you may light up while still breathing fresh, clean air.
- Their adaptable design allows them to be used for a variety of purposes. They’re perfect for church services, candlelit dinners, gatherings, and feasts.
- Bolsius Straight Candle has a 100% cotton wick for a smoother flame that doesn’t flicker and bothers those standing or sitting nearby.
- Because of the high quality of their raw materials, they burn continuously and consistently, so you won’t have to bother about relighting each candle every few minutes.
- Its long cylindrical shape and 1 inch thickness make it ideal for travel. The candles will not take up any more room and will easily fit into even the tiniest of bag corners.
- These survival candles have a less-than-ideal base. Because it doesn’t fit in most candle holders, you may need to adjust the base before placing the candle on your chosen stand.
- The long, narrow design does not lend itself to long-term use. With a little external push, the chances of breaking even are extremely high.
These candles are odorless and dripless, making them an outstanding and ideal solution for emergencies. You may believe that burning a scented candle will calm your anxieties and be a better option than an unscented candle, but this is not the case in an emergency.
Imagine burning 6-7 candles at once to keep the room warm; the additional strong scent will make standing in the room uncomfortable. As a result, having an unscented candle handy during an emergency is a good idea.
Congratulations if you’re thinking about buying candles in bulk from a reputable brand. You’ve discovered the perfect match. Without a doubt, these really economical candles would brighten up any boring scenario.
UCO 9-Hour White Candle
White 9-Hour Candle Bags from UCO Our runner-up spot on the best survival candles list. We recommend that you understand the benefits and drawbacks of these candles before making your next purchase!
- Type: Standard Unscented
- Number of candles: Pack of 9
- Material: Refined Paraffin Wax
- Duration: 9 hours
- Manufacturer: UCO
- Item Weight: 1.08 pounds
- Item Dimensions: 4.75 x 3.75 x 4.2 inches
- Because the UCO 9-Hour White Candle is dripless, you may use it anywhere in your home without destroying your pricey tables and counters.
- With their transit-proof construction structure, these survival candles are an amazing offering. It will fit in even the tiniest bag pocket. The 3.5-inch thick hefty size is wide enough to prevent fracturing in the centre.
- Because the candle has a 9-hour burn period, even a single stick in your bag can provide a good safety net.
- Even after hours of burning, their high melting temperature point reduces soot and leaking.
- To ensure steady flaming, the manufacturer employs a braided cotton wick, which helps to balance the candle and prevents it from burning too quickly.
- You have the choice of purchasing candles in a 3, 9, or 20 pack, depending on your requirements.
- They’re odourless, so they burn quickly yet don’t irritate your nose.
- Many of its clients have received phoney dupes that emit smoke and dribble all over the place. Dupes are delivered due to a lack of quality control and production misunderstanding.
- The candle’s description claims it will burn for 9 hours, but it only lasts about 5 hours on average. Only a few people have seen the candle burn out in under three hours, while others have seen it burn for up to seven hours.
This candle fits perfectly in the UCO chandelier candle lantern, ensuring a safer and more reliable burn. You may put the candles in the shell to create a warm ambient light that will keep you warm and safe even when the winds are howling.
If you’re looking for a candle that will remain put while traveling, this is the one to get. This one won’t break in your backpack and takes up less room than regular candles.
SE Survivor Series 3-Wick 36-Hour Emergency Candle
The first option on this list is these long-burning emergency candles. The candle is designed with a variety of small features that come in helpful in a variety of situations. Before you add them to your cart, take a look at their features.
- Type: 3 Wick Aluminum Candle
- Number of candles: Pack of 1
- Material: Soy Wax
- Duration: 36 hours
- Manufacturer: Sona Enterprises
- Item Weight: 0.24 Pounds
- Item Dimensions: 2.75 x 3.13 x 2.75 inches
- After the candle has burned down, you may use the strong and reusable metal tin to hold trinkets or use as a temporary water cup.
- Because of the additional outer shell of aluminium packaging, this candle is extremely durable. It’ll be easy to transport on your various adventures. With the lid on, the candle will always be protected inside the tin.
- Because this candle is designed specifically for emergencies, it has a 36-hour burn period. In light of the candle’s size, this is an outstanding burn time. Even if you only have one tin with you, you may rest assured that it will provide exceptional comfort throughout the situation.
- The top layer of soy wax on the candle is a unique characteristic that contributes in producing a clean burn with less soot than other candles. This candle’s bottom layer is made of palm wax, which is known for burning the longest.
- The candle is quite light and has a small amount of weight.
- These unscented survival candles can be used in tents and tiny spaces without causing a headache.
- With this single candle, few clients got more than 9 hours of burn time.
- Because the wick of this tin candle tends to drown in the melted wax pool, you must take it from the candle and relight it, which might be inconvenient in an emergency.
- There’s a chance you’ll get a dented or damaged tin.
The top layer of this candle melts away with the three wicks, however, when the top layer depletes, the candle reveals three interior divided divisions.
From there, you can ignite any wick you choose, according to on your needs. To make it last longer, light all three or simply two or one at a time.
If you enjoy tin candles, we recommend this item. These would have the appearance of conventional ornamental tin candles, but with the added utility of being an emergency candle.
They are quite easy to transport and do not make a mess. Their three-wick method is both ingenious and effective.
Stonebriar 35 Hour Long Burning Unscented Pillar Candles
The Stonebriar 35 Hour Long Burning Candles are our second option. Three, four, six, and eight of these survival candles are available in a pack of three, four, six, and eight. To learn more about this product, read the disadvantages, benefits, and buying tips.
- Type: Standard Cylinder
- Number of candles: Pack of 6
- Material: Refined Paraffin Wax
- Duration: 35+ hours
- Manufacturer: CKK Home Decor
- Item Weight: 0.8 Pounds
- Item Dimensions: 11.4 x 8.3 x 6.3 inches
- These are some of the best long-lasting candles for survival and crises that you can buy. With each candlestick, the candle claims a 35-hour burn period.
- For a clean and even burning experience, the candles are constructed with high-quality paraffin wax and a lead-free cotton wick.
- The package is attractive and durable; you will not be delivered a melted, deformed, or dented candle.
- This candle’s stumpy size makes it somewhat indestructible. If these candles are dropped from a great distance, they will not break or chip.
- These candles are quite convenient to transport. One or two sticks can easily fit in your backpack or pocket.
- Because they are odourless, those with asthma can light them without fear of inhaling fumes.
- The candle’s variable design makes it ideal for use as a decorative item.
- Because the wick keeps falling into the wax, you may need to clip it every few hours to keep it from falling in.
- The wick is either too short or not working well enough to use the remainder of the candle. This candle’s base isn’t lit, so it just sits there. If you don’t like wasting things, you can melt the scraps and use them to make another candle.
- These candles do emit a significant amount of smoke.
Unfortunately, we were unable to locate any distinguishing features that drew our attention.
If you dislike candle dripping, this product is for you; you won’t discover a single drop of free wax scattered or melting on your furniture, but be prepared to breathe some smoke. Place the candle in a well-ventilated place to avoid this.
Bolsius Straight Unscented White Candles
Bolsius Straight Unscented White Candles are the penultimate option on our list of long-burning emergency candles. To learn more about this product, let’s look at its benefits and drawbacks.
- Type: Straight Unscented
- Number of candles: Pack of 45
- Material: Refined Paraffin Wax
- Duration: Approx. 7 hours
- Manufacturer: Bolsius
- Item Weight: 2.4 Kilograms
- Item Dimensions: 7.87 x 4.72 x 7.87 inches
- These survival candles, according to the company, are highly dripless and simple to use.
- Their straight shape, rather than a tapered ending, provides a more significant and optimal burning through and through.
- These candles are completely odourless and unscented. They won’t encourage unexpected animal guests near your campsite if utilised in the dark and in the woods.
- Their non-soot composition keeps the air fresh and clean around the lit candle.
- These Bolsius candles have a 7-hour burn time and come in a pack of 45 candles that may be used for a variety of purposes.
- They feature an incredibly smooth and continuous flame that doesn’t require any trimming or lighting by humans.
They actually drip and make a mess, despite the company’s promises.
A simple white standard candle performs all of the tasks of a candle. You can get a candle holder with a wide bottom that collects the drippings so they don’t harm your furnishings or tent.
Emergency Candles Frequently Asked Questions
What is an emergency candle?
An emergency candle differs from regular decorative and therapeutic candles in a few ways. These are constructed from slow-burning fuels that can last for several hours.
Ordinary candles have a maximum burn time of 5 hours, but these may last anywhere from 15 to 100 hours. People who want to use them in their emergency bug-out bags may want a light candle, therefore the manufacturer makes sure not to make excessively heavy candles.
The majority of individuals neglect to bring a candle with them in case of an emergency. They’d come to a halt at a torch, but a torch can only produce light, not heat. These candles do a fantastic job of providing both while keeping you protected from other outside influences.
These emergency candles are a godsend in the event of a power outage, especially in the cold. You can light up an entire area, warm it up, and even try to prepare meals in an emergency with enough emergency candles.
If you’re prepping or packing your bug-out bag, these emergency candles are a must-have.
How long do emergency candles last?
An emergency candle can last anywhere from 15 to 100 hours. The way a candle burn is determined by the type of environment you’re in, the wax used, and the many additives used in the candle.
Even a wick can change the length of time your candle burns. It’s recommended to choose a candle that provides you the most hours per stick because carrying one stick is much easier than carrying a complete bundle.
We recommend purchasing a candle that burns for at least 7 hours; these candles will keep you safe and provide a sufficient amount of heat.
In general, a one-ounce wax candle with small wicks can last up to 7-9 hours, whereas a two-ounce candle can last anywhere from 14 to 18 hours. However, if you purchase a candle with a larger wick, it will undoubtedly burn much faster.
Because of the long wicks, the candle burns much more quickly. Soy wax burns much slower than other waxes but is usually more expensive; paraffin wax is the cheapest and provides a nice mix of burning time and pricing.
So, before purchasing a long-lasting candle, take into account all of these things.
How do you use emergency candles?
An emergency candle can be used in the same way as a conventional candle. Make sure to set these survival candles in strategic locations.
That is your top priority; buying these won’t help you if you don’t have a place to store them all and can’t find it in an emergency. Because an emergency might occur at any time, it is always recommended that you maintain these candles in multiple locations.
Keep a few in your kitchen cabinets, in your travel baggage, in bug-out bags, and in your emergency toolbox. When faced with an emergency, light the candle while considering your circumstances, the period of time you’ll be stuck there, the amount of stock you have, and the weather. If you’re in a tent in the summer, you can use only one candle, but if you’re stuck somewhere in the winter, you’ll need to keep warm, so burning a few candles at a time can keep you safe. If you’re in a pinch, avoid burning these candles during the day and save them for the evening.
Save as much wax as possible, and make sure the soot isn’t contaminating the air around you. This is usually resolved with a fast trim.
Can a candle keep a car or house warm?
Both yes and no. Under some conditions, a candle can keep a car warm, but it will not heat your entire house. You can choose a room that receives the most sunshine during the day to serve as your insulation room.
To keep the heat in, light many candles and close all the doors and windows. This strategy will undoubtedly keep your space toasty warm. Pack your windows with a sheet of cloth and create a boundary wall around the room with hay or insulation to add a layer of decent insulation.
Consider removing the insulation foam from an attic with a separate door and laying it outside that one room if you have one. Because of the limited area available for automobiles, it becomes substantially easy to warm the vehicle.
Remember that cars are built of metal, so there isn’t much insulation, to begin with. In a closed vehicle, a single candle with an outside temperature of 320 degrees Fahrenheit will keep you from freezing to death.
In the same way, two good-quality candles may keep you warm in a 0 F environment. You should aim to use paraffin or beeswax in your car because it emits relatively little carbon monoxide, lowering your risk of poisoning. Warm the water in a water tub over an open flame; drinking this warm water will keep your core temperature warm. Avoid leaving the water on the flame for an extended period of time; this will release water vapor, which will saturate your clothes and render your insulation useless.
Keep a gallon of kitten litter in the car at all times. The sand will serve as a great thermal mass, radiating heat and keeping the automobile warm.
Best Emergency Candles For Every Situation Bottom Line
We hope our emergency candle review provided you with some excellent options.
Apart from purchasing, we recommend that you make the most of your candles by following the guidelines outlined in the FAQs. Before you go, remember to keep an eye on all the burning candles to avoid a disastrous fire.
If you need a lot of light but don’t have any candles, try using mirrors instead. Without burning several candles at once, the reflections will light the room. Always be prepared for the worst and keep a candle on hand!