How to Refill a Bic Lighter From the Top In 13 Easy Steps
This post may contain affiliate links, full disclosure here.
“Can I refill a Bic lighter from the top with lighter fluid?” is a common question I get from individuals who are getting ready for an emergency.
Fire starting using Ferro rods is much easier than with matches or a lighter, but sometimes you’re hungry and in a hurry and just want to use a lighter.
Being able to refill Bic lighters would be a significant help in emergency preparedness because it’s easy to keep a can of butane in your emergency supplies, and butane and Bic lighters are both inexpensive.
The good news is that a Bic lighter can be refilled from the top. It’s also not that difficult. Because the Bic lighter is intended to be disposable, you must be careful not to destroy any of the parts while disassembling it, or you will have to purchase a new one. I’ll walk you through the steps of refilling a Bic lighter from the top in this article.
In several parts of the world, refilling Bic lighters is rather frequent. I witnessed market vendors refilling lighters for a quarter of the cost of new light on a trip to Palestine. This is reportedly done in locations like Cuba and Nepal.
However, I’ve heard reports of replenished lighters exploding after being hacked. All of these accounts are anecdotal, but they may happen (even not-hacked Bic lighters sometimes explode in high temperatures).
When you hack a lighter, there’s also the risk of leaking. Again, I doubt it, but butane might seep from a lighter and then burn if the adjustable flame was kindled close.
To put it another way, you should never refill a Bic lighter!
Bic Lighters Can Be Refilled
It’s more typical to refill Bic lighters from the bottom of the lighter. One is simpler and easier, but it has some possible drawbacks (which I detail), and the other, which I call the “correct method,” is a little more complicated and requires more tools.
Both, though, are effective. All you have to do now is analyze the benefits and draw a conclusion on which strategy you prefer. This strategy from the beginning may be the one you prefer the most.
If you use lighters regularly enough that you need to replace them frequently, you should consider purchasing a refillable lighter or many single-use disposable lighters.
How To Refill A Bic Lighter From The Top
Refilling your Bic lighter from the top has a number of benefits. Essentially, you are detaching the top of the lighter and then refilling it, ensuring that when the lighter is reassembled, it will perform as intended by the manufacturer.
Although functional, refilling it from the bottom alters the lighter’s appearance from when it left the factory. You can refill the lighter an endless number of times.
However, if you refill the Bic lighter from the bottom of a bic the “proper way,” you’ll never have to disassemble the lighter again until the flint has to be replaced. Even with heavy use, the flint will last a number of years.
- butane lighters
- a stub of Bic lighter (for safety this is very important)
- Flint (optional, although it’s a good idea to have some on hand)
- a typical flathead screwdriver of a small size (This is for prying the parts loose)
- A paper clip or a strong thin wire
This should be done on a large table with a cloth or towel put out on it beforehand. You don’t want to do this on a small hard surface since components can fly, bounce, or roll away as you disassemble them, causing you to lose stuff.
If you have a tray with edges, I’ve heard several people online propose doing this. If that’s the case, that could be a nice idea as well. In either case, you should have everything ready before you begin and work in a location where you won’t lose anything. The steps for refilling the lighter are as follows:
- Be Safe: Make sure your Bic lighter is fully empty before using it. If that’s the case, keep flicking the spark wheel until no flame appears.
- Remove the Bic lighter’s “hood” with the screwdriver. The metal that covers the lighter directly below the flame is known as the “hood.”
- Remove the childproof feature. This is the metal shield that protects the center of the spark wheel when you crank it to produce a spark. This is removed by carefully pulling it off with a screwdriver inserted below it. Make sure you don’t break anything by being cautious (be gentle).
- Remove the spark with extreme caution. This wheel is designed to fit into hinges that are prone to breaking. You may remove this spark wheel without breaking the hinges if you are gentle. (Breaking them will destroy the lighter.)
- Remove the flint and flint spring from the flint. This will be self-evident and straightforward. Just make sure you don’t lose them this time. If the flint is in good condition, it can be reused. If it’s not there when you put everything back together, you’ll have to replace it. I have a link to where you can obtain replacements on Amazon in my material list above.
- Turn flame adjuster: Turn it eight to ten times counterclockwise.
- Locate fork: This regulates the flow of butane from the fuel tank. To hold the fork open, place a wire or straightened paper clip under it.
- Refill with Butane: To do so, press the butane can butane nozzle against the open fork until the lighter is refilled.
- Close the fork: pull the paper clip or wire out once the lighter has been refilled.
- Return the flame adjuster to its original position: Since you rotated it eight to ten times counter-clockwise, you’ll now spin it clockwise the same number of times.
- Replace the flint spring and flint in the lighter with care.
- Reinstall the spark wheel with care. Once again, be cautious not to harm the hinges.
- Remove the lighter hood and replace it.
You’ve completed the task! If you followed the steps correctly, your lighter should be as good as new! Congratulations!
Can all BIC lighters be refilled?
CAN BIC® LIGHTERS BE REFILLED? No, none of the BIC® lighters (pocket and multi-purpose) may be refilled.
How do you refill a Bic lighter without a push pin?
To hold the fork open, place a wire or straightened paper clip under it. Butane should be refilled into the lighter. To do so, push the butane can nozzle on the open fork until the lighter is refilled. To shut the fork, take the paper clip or wire out once the lighter has been refilled.
Can you fill a Bic lighter with butane?
Butane, a pushpin, and three rubber grommets are all you’ll need to refill a bic lighter. Butane and grommets are available at most hardware stores. You’ll also need a set of clippers and a file, as you’ll need to file down the pushpin after filling the lighter.
What to do with empty Bic lighters?
“BIC strongly advises users to use the lighter until it is completely empty before discarding it. Empty BIC® lighters should be thrown away. A lighter is made up of numerous different metals and polymers that are difficult to separate for recycling for quality and safety concerns.”
Refilling A Bic Lighter In 13 Easy Steps Bottom Line
Thank you for taking the time to read this article in its entirety. I really hope that was of assistance to you and you learned how to refill from the bottom of your bic lighter.
If it was, please forward it to your friends or post it on social media. This is quite beneficial to us in terms of spreading the word, and we greatly appreciate it when our readers do so.